Bamboo itself has a lot of advantages using it for building houses, bridges. It is a cheap, fast-growing material with
excellent statistics according to the mechanical properties. The connections are the difficult structures in bamboo constructions. Here are a few reasons:
- Bamboo has got a round profile. Creating connections with round profiles are leading to difficult geometric structures at the knot.
- Bamboo fibres only grow in the longitudinal direction.
- Bamboo is hollow. There is no material to tighten the bamboo in the middle of the cane.
- The face of the cane is very slippery and hard.
- Bamboo is not suitable for loads in cross direction, because there are no cross fibres.
- Bamboo is a natural material, that varies in diametres, length, and quality according to the climate.
There seem to be two parties in modern bamboo architecture:
- Those who use bamboo as an alternative material connected with industrial standard elements like steel plates, nuts and bolts
- Those who try to find a modern least-tech connection can be produced very cheaply and assembled by unskilled workers.
Traditionally natural materials are used:
- Cocos/sago palm fibre
- Strips of bamboo
For tight connections green bamboo strips are used, the fibres are watered before tying around the bamboo. While drying, the fibres shorten and the connection becomes stronger.
Constructions elements made of bamboo are suitable for lots of uses. Bamboo has different diameters and is thicker near the knots. Within bolting together or wedging the bamboo, lots of its tightness won’t be transferred by the construction element.
Bambu – Tec solves this problem. Prefabricated bamboo sticks with certain length are covered with a cap and connected with synthetic resin. For a tight connection of the cap and the bamboo is covered with circular grooves. Because of that, the grouting mass runs between the materials and confirms this construction.
Cords and ropes are made of bamboo bark, bast, coconut- palmfibres. Nowadays also plastic cords are used.
Bamboo ropes of twisted bamboo fibres are produced in lengths up to 350m. They are more wear-resistant than standard ropes. With a tensile strength of 720 KP/cm³, a rope of an arm´s thickness can bear up to 14 tons.
The following are some of the easy DIY bamboo projects that you can do it on your own.
- Bamboo Fence
- Bamboo Furniture
- Bamboo Privacy Screen
- Bamboo Shades
These are few DIY bamboo projects that you can execute easily both inside and outside your home. Other than these you can think of so many other projects that can be made of using bamboo wood.