Are you interested in spending your weekend in making something useful for your home, if this is so, then you should try to make a DIY coffee table. Making a coffee table on your own is not very much difficult, but it definitely requires some skills with tools. If you know how to use different tools and materials, then you will surely be able to make a good coffee table for your home. Material and tools required for making table is as follows:
- An unused/broken wood shipping pallet
- 200 grit sandpaper
- Hand saw
- A box of flat head nails of 2”
- Measuring tape
- Stain or paint
- Hand Clamp
You can easily find all of the above mentioned materials from your local home improvement or hardware store except the wooden pallet. Getting the pallets for DIY coffee table is also not a difficult task as you can find these in local stores, the only thing you need to do is to make few calls to local stores and ask them of shipping pallets, you will surely find some for your use.
Building of Coffee Table
- First of all you need to decide about the side of pallet that has finest appearance, because it can then make your table top.
- Now you should remove the cross beams and slats, using hammer and leaving only the center slat intact to provide support.
- Now after deciding, you should lay the pallet in such a way that its topside is up.
- The removed slats can now be used to fill the gap between the slats attached.
- 2” nails can be used to attach the slats with outer frame of pallet.
- Now take the removed cross beams and mark their center using the measuring tape and cut the breams from half.
- Now put the pallet topside down and attached one cross beam to each inside corner of pallet frame with the help of hand clamp. To make it more secure nail it to the frame. Repeat this for all corners of pallet.
- To add some extra support to your DIY coffee table, you can cut and attach the left over slat to your coffee table legs.